Some customers of 2016–2019 Chevrolet Cruze models with the 1.4L (LE2) engine may comment about an illuminated MIL. In addition, technicians may find one or more of the following DTCs set: P0101, P0171, P0172, P0300 and P1101.
The concern may stem from the air cleaner element bracket (2) not being properly installed on the mount (1), causing the bracket and/or mount to warp over time. This may then cause the air cleaner element to either warp, misalign and/or seal improperly onto the air cleaner housing inlet duct.
To correct the problem, inspect the air cleaner element bracket. If damaged, replace the air cleaner element and make sure there’s a secure connection between the bracket and the mount. If no damage is found and the air cleaner shows no signs of improper sealing with the intake duct, refer to Service Information for further diagnostics.
To replace the air cleaner element:
- Remove the air cleaner housing and air cleaner element.
- Squeeze the tabs (1) to release the bracket from the mount and then slide the filter away from the intake duct.
- Using care, lift the bracket away from the mount and remove the air cleaner.
- Align the new air cleaner to the air cleaner housing intake duct, and then align the bracket to the mount.
- Carefully slide the air cleaner and bracket rearward until an audible click is heard..
- Inspect the air cleaner for a proper seal around the inlet duct.
- Install the air cleaner housing.
For additional details and graphics, see Bulletin # 18-NA-118 on Service Information.