An old saying declares that nothing succeeds like success. That being the case, GM’s 8L90 transmission might deserve having the word success carved into its housing.
The 8L90 made headlines two years ago as GM’s first 8-speed planetary automatic transmission developed in-house. Now it’s available as GM’s first 8-speed rear wheel drive reman.
That means owners of Chevrolet Corvettes and half-ton trucks (Chevrolet Silverado, Cadillac Escalade, GMC Sierra and Yukon Denali), model years 2015 and newer, have access to the same 8L90 cutting-edge, industry shaking technology, this time in a reman:
- Increased efficiency, up to five percent, over the previous 6-speed model
- A lighter design that fits in the same physical space as a 6-speed
- Integral, die-cast aluminum bell housing for reduced NVH
- Rated turbine torque capacity of 1000 Nm (738 lb·ft)
- VFS control components to monitor clutch pressures with optimum accuracy, producing fast and precise shifts
- Five clutch design that uses three at a time, leaving only two open clutches in each gear state
- A microcontroller that executes instructions at a rate of 120 million per second and wide-open-throttle upshifts up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911.
The 8L90 also runs Dex 6 HP Transmission fluid, which provides good lubrication, helping with its life span. As with all GM remans, the 8L90 arrives fully tested to meet factory specifications. A 36 month/100,000 mile (whichever comes first) parts and labor limited warranty adds confidence for you and your customers.